Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Would solar panel powered objects last longer if we were closer to the sun?

Q. I have a solar paneled portable iPhone charger. If I held it higher to the sun, would the amount of time it would take to restore the battery shorten?

A. Sure! Great Idea!
Lets say you want to increase the speed by 10% and that recharge speed is directly proportional to light intensity, ok? ( A reasonable first approximation) So, since intensity is inversely proportional to distance squared we have 1.1 = d(high)²/d(low)² where low & hi are the two heights. That gives us â1.1 = d(high)/d(low)
or d(hi) = (â1.1)*d(low)
Since â1.1 ~ 1.05 we have the difference in height has to be about 5% of the distance to the sun closer to the sun to get a 10% increase in power. 5% of 93 million miles is 4 million miles (roughly).
So, if you will hold your panel about 4 million miles above the ground you can obtain a modest power increase.
HTH
<edit>
This analysis presumes that the same light filtering our atmosphere does would be done on the phone. Of course at 4 million miles there isn't any atmosphere so the intensity would be lots and lots higher.

Portable iphone charger/battery thats compatible with an iphone 4 otterbox defender series case?
Q. im looking for one for christmas and i cant seem to find any. Please help! i have waited very long till christmas to get it and now i cant seem to find one that will acompany my case. if u cant find any either just please give me links/names of any portable iphone charger/battery that u find. Thanks!

A. look at the at&t phone store

Any tips on iPhone 4 battery life?
Q. I have the iPhone 4 and my battery life has been really bad. I loose battery overnight and I don't knoW why. I always turn off stuff that waste my battery life like location services and such.Also, I got a portable iPhone charger and for some reason the mobile charger got really hott when it was charging my iPhone, I don't know if they all do it but it was pretty weird! Any tips?

A. don't use generic chargers. att told me that.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment