Friday, April 26, 2013

What is the difference between contract and unlocked iphone 4s?

Q. what is the difference between contract and unlocked iphone 4s? I know that unlocked versions will have a all the features of the iphone, but what about the contract ones? What happens when the contract expires?

A. An unlocked iPhone can be used with any GSM carrier in the world. Apple sells them for full retail. A locked iPhone is sold at a significant discount and can only be used with the specific carrier. AT&T will only unlock an iPhone after the contract has expired. If there are local GSM carriers that offer the iPhone, you will have to inquire as to their unlocking policy.

How does an unlocked iphone work?
Q. So i was thinking of buying an unlocked iphone for tmobile. Say I already have a plan. Do I just put in the sim card or do I have to go to tmobile first?

A. Unlocked iphone works just like a new iphone. Just put in the sim card and start enjoying the new experience.

What other carriers work with a factory unlocked iPhone 4?
Q. I'm thinking of buying a used factory unlocked iPhone 4 from ebay. I do not want to use Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint because they charge a high monthly fee. I would like to use another carrier. I need to know the specific names of other carriers that would support its signal. I can't seem to find this information. Also don't tell me the answer like "All CDMA, GSM carriers, etc" I need to know specific names of carriers. Thanks.

A. Here's an answer I gave a few weeks ago:

Once you obtain your unlocked iPhone, for the US, you have several choices for GSM carriers (prepaid, no contract, month to month):

1. GoPhone
2. Red Pocket
3. Straight Talk
4. T-Mobile
5. Net 10

In the US, I was happy with Straight Talk at @$45/month with unlimited everything including data (at that time is was 3G speeds, not sure what it is now). Coverage was decent as they use AT&T's network.

In any case, once you obtain your SIM card, you might have to modify your APN settings in order to use data while away from WiFi (iMessage, Maps, MMS, etc.).

While using WiFi, go to the link below, unlockit.co.nz, using the Safari browser on your iPhone to automatically download the appropriate APN for your chosen carrier.

Hope this helps




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment